Saturday, October 20, 2012

Home Preschool: Monster Theme

Today felt like a holiday! John worked, so we didn't go to Disneyland, and Maggie was home.  We did all the preschool activities I had planned for a Monster theme.

First was a jell-o sensory box.  I used jell-o that has been sitting in our fridge since John was on a liquid diet two weeks ago. Neither of the kids wanted to eat it, until it was in the sensory box, of course.   It's just green jell-o and some monstrous-looking dinosaurs.  Dalton hates having his hands dirty, so even though I made this for him, he only played for a minute or two, washing his hands twice.


Maggie went and got more dinosaurs and played for over an hour.  Her fingers were stained green for the better part of the day.


This monster math activity idea is from No Time for Flashcards.  I folded some construction paper in half and cut out monster shapes. Dalton was upset that his didn't have "gloves" so I had to do a little liposuction and create some arms for him.


I got a package of eyeball stickers at Jo-ann in the $1 section (so $.60 with a 40% coupon).  The kids put on as many eyeballs as they wanted. Dalton counted his up, and Maggie counted up each side, then added them together.



After making monsters, we read Where the Wild Things Are (twice) and The Monster at the End of This Book.  Then the kids got out their monster puppets (from Aunt Erin when Dalton was born) and did a puppet show.  And they just finished watching Monster's, Inc, which means my lying down time is up.


A couple years ago, we made a giant cardboard monster to throw toys in. It was a big hit.  That monster craft idea came from Mommysavers.  The idea for the Monster preschool theme came when we were doing monster playdough a few weeks ago.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yay, they still have the monsters!! I saw a preview for Monsters Inc 3D at the Twilight Movie (good btw, have you seen it?). I immediately thought of Maggie, and holding Dalton when as a tiny infant!

Erin said...

Yay, they still like my Monsters! I saw a preview for Monsters Inc 3D at the Twilight Movie (good btw, have you seen it?). I immediately thought of Maggie and of holding Dalton as an infant!